On 31st October 2018, India became home to world’s tallest statue called Statue of Unity, which was inaugurated by PM Narendra Modi.
Facing the Narmada Dam near Rajpipla, Gujarat, Statue of Unity honours Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, One of the founding father of India.
Facts about Statue of Unity
- Statue of Unity is 182 meters in height, which makes its worlds tallest statue.
- It was built with an estimated cost of Rs 3000 Cr.
- It took around 33 months and nearly 3000 workers and 250 engineers to complete Statue of Unity
- Statue of Unity can withstand earthquakes up to rector scale of 6.5
- Visitors can have a bird’s eye view of 200km reservoir of Sardar Sarovar Dam from the gallery of the Statue which can accommodate 200 people at a time.
- It was designed by Ram Vanji Sutar, also the creator of Mahatma Gandhi statue at Indian Parliament.
About Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel
Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel was the Iron Man of India. He was born on 31st Oct 1875 in a town called Nadiad in Gujrat to a farmer. His firm and strong willpower could be seen in his determination and achievement of a degree of the barrister in his early days despite being from a poor family.
He then started following Mahatma Gandhi and arranged and participated in various freedom fighting movements like Quit India Movement in the year 1937.
He became the first Home Minister of India and worked towards uniting the country as one nation by leading the process of acquiring 565 semi-autonomous princely states from British era and floating suraaj (good governance) across the nation.